The Role of Insurance Coverage in the Severna Park Back Surgery or Non-Surgical Care Choice

“Back surgery is one of the most overused types of surgery as well as the most common ailment that sends patients to doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists,” conveys Crain’s Detroit Business magazine’s article called Health Insurers Look for Ways to Cut Costs with Back Surgery. What a way to begin an article! It goes on:

  • $90 billion on low back pain alone annually
  • 1.2 million spinal surgeries a year
  • $60,000 to $110,000 per lumbar fusion surgery (the fastest-growing type of surgery in the past 10 years)

The back surgery failure rate, the so-called “failed back syndrome” or the more “politically correct” term “post-surgical continued pain syndrome,” may be as high as 50%. (1) With healthcare spending in the US exceeding $3.5 trillion - $10,739 per person – it’s no wonder that insurers seek another way to cut costs, especially when one-third of the money goes to hospital care of chronic illnesses. (2) Back And Neck Care Center is well-equipped and confident in offering non-hospital-based care to help Severna Park back pain – chronic and acute – patients get relief of and handle their back pain – as well as post-surgical continued back pain - without surgery.

LOW BACK PAIN FACTS

Low back pain is the leading reason of years lived with disability globally. Today, guidelines for low back pain relief care discourage pain medications, steroid injections and spine surgery and encourage physical therapy and psychological therapy. Healthcare systems are apt to struggle with these novel approaches. Why? Pharmaceutical companies’ financial interests, old payment systems that favor medical care, outdated traditions, and legal, personal, political, and societal beliefs of us all. These notions are shared in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, believe it or not. (3) Back And Neck Care Center reads this with interest.

BACK SURGERY CHOICE

Considering these facts, it is not hard to believe that some back pain sufferers will choose back surgery over non-surgical management of their back pain. “Patients go where insurance pays, even if it is surgery.” In one study, back pain sufferers made the choice to visit a primary care physician (PCP) or physical therapist (PT) or chiropractor first because of their health plan type, co-payment, and deductible. Changing these factors to make them more valuable/less expensive/less restrictive as to provider type might well inspire low back pain sufferers to pick non-hospital, conservative treatment instead of back surgery. (4) Back And Neck Care Center likes this! Less than 1% of back pain sufferers must have back surgery. (5) Back And Neck Care Center is ready to help the remaining 99% of the Severna Park back pain sufferers manage their back pain and rework their lifestyles to be with the spine they have and cope with its episodes of pain and relief.

RECURRENT BACK PAIN

Severna Park back pain sufferers are in good company if their back pain returns. It happens. It’s controllable. It’s manageable. Some facts first: Within a year of recovery, 69% of patients experienced another episode of back pain of some sort. What risks prompt a return of back pain? Awkward postures, long sitting times, and more than 2 prior back pain experiences. (6) It’s ok though. Really! Back And Neck Care Center helps Severna Park back pain patients find their way through these recurrences and deal with them so they don’t limit anyone’s enjoyment of life.  We have a treatment plan!

CONTACT Back And Neck Care Center

Listen to Dr. Kimble Cater on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson share how he helped an expectant mother with her repeated episodes of back pain. Whether you’re pregnant or not, Severna Park chiropractic care at Back And Neck Care Center can help you cope with repeated episodes of back pain, too.

Schedule a Severna Park chiropractic appointment at Back And Neck Care Center for back pain relief. Our care is not overused!  The gentle, effective, evidence-based system of Cox® Technic look for 50% relief within 4-6 weeks of care and often delivers 70%, 80%, 90% and greater for many of our patients at less cost – in terms of finances and lifestyle – than back surgery.

Back And Neck Care Center notes that back pain sufferers may choose their back pain treatment option based on insurance coverage. If insurance pays for back surgery, will you choose that?  
 
« View All Featured Articles
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER page."